Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Cookbook Countdown #1 ~ MY Chicken with shallots

Welcome to Cookbook Countdown! 
A monthly cookbook event starting January 2016.
I'm co-hosting Cookbook Countdown together with Joyce of Kitchen Flavours. If you are like us, who love to collect cookbooks and have an overcrowding bookshelf (or bookshelves!), yet most of the books have not been used at all, now is the time to change that. Join us at Cookbook Countdown. How to join in? Here's our flexible and simple rules :
  • Select any cookbook that you've already own. This book shall be your cookbook of the month.
  • You may cook/bake any recipes from that chosen book and as many recipes as you want, for the month. 
  • You may chose to publish or not to publish the recipes, whichever works for you.
  • Posts must be current, mention in your post, the book that you will be using for the month. 
  • Link your posts to the linky which can be found at either of the hostess's blog. Please mention the following in your posts with a link back to us,  "I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray".
 ***
We enjoyed Martin Yan's Canadian cooking series from way back in the early 90s
and he has remained one of hubby's favorite English speaking chefs for all time!
"If Yan Can Cook, So Can You!" and
Yan's doctor's advice on "Salmon is good for your heart" had stuck
with hubby till present day!

These are the only cookbooks by Martin Yan
that I collected over the years but not cooked a single
recipe from any of them!
 
I was so happy when Joyce of  Kitchen Flavours 
approached me with the plan of putting our cookbook collection
to good use, and Martin's books were top on my list.
For January 2016, I will be cooking from his
Chinatown Cooking book just because we have been
yearning for some dim sum and quick Chinese dishes,
which we have not been enjoying as hubby has snubbed
non-homecooked food for the past five years
 
And as hubby only eat Salmon fish, some seafood, and not a lot
of anything else, I took the opportunity of making this chicken dish for my dinner
during another of hubby's trip back to Melaka where we have a second home
 
I made a non-sizzling version of
Martin's Sizzling Chicken with Shallots - pages 214-215
paired with egg noodles (wantan noodles),
and blanched chinese greens from my container garden.
This dish has green and yellow bell peppers, shallots and
onion greens, minced garlic and I used black pepper corns
in place of fermented black beans (cos I had none);
for the chicken marinade: sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar and cornflour
seasoning: veg stock (in place of chicken stock),
and marin in place of rice wine.
For garnish, cut red chili!
A very satisfying dinner for one!
***
Below are some prezzies I received from
my DD#1 and #2 and Sis over the festive season:
another of JO's books, a MKR booklet from NZ,
some lovely plates to my collection,
and a slosh mug!

***
and here are some of my cookbooks to be worked on...


2 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Emily,
Sizzling Chicken with Shallots sounds yum! And I like it that you've served this dish with noodles! Perfect meal for one! I have two books of Martin Yan, Quick and Easy, and China. Yes, back in those days, his cooking shows was really popular!

EmilyC said...

There so many dishes I like to prepare from this book!