Above: first time my frosting looks like frosting!
Just look at all the goodies in the one square!
Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Maple Frosting
Recipe Adapted from "The Cake Book by Tish Boyle"
Makes One 9" Cake
We need for the Cake:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground clove (I substituted with mixed spice)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
113g unsalted butter, softened
1 cup loosely packed light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk (I substituted with whipping cream with 2 squeezes of lemon juice)
2 cups peeled and chopped (1/2" pieces) Granny Smith apples (I needed 3 small apples)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (I used pecans as I depleted my walnut stash making bread!)
How to make the Cake:
1) Preheat oven to 350F and position rack in center of the oven. If not using non stick pan, grease the bottom and sides of a 9" square cake pan with parchment paper.
2) In a bowl add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
3) In another bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until light and creamy for about 3 - 4 minutes. Add vanilla extract and beat until combined. Then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrap down the sides of the bowl.
4) Then add in the flour in 3 separate additions alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions. Mix until blended (do not overmix though).
5) Lastly add in the apples and nuts. Pour into prepared tin and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
6) Cool cake completely before frosting (thats the tip!)
You will need for the Cream Cheese Maple Frosting:
170g cream cheese, softened
42g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1 cup icing sugar sifted
Pinch of salt
Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add in the other ingredients and continue to beat until light and creamy. Place in fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up slightly before frosting on the cake.