Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 12, 2019

CtBF~ED: Potato chowder, lots of ways

I actually first made the potato chowder a couple of weeks ago cos I thought it was the first recipe at CtBF! Little did I know that hubby would like this so much that he practically have numerous versions of it till now for dinner.  But I have yet to make it with cream or milk, I did toyed with the idea of using coconut cream but that did not materialize. 
Above was hubby's first acquaintance of #EverydayDorie's chowder sans cream or milk. Substituted two thirds of potatoes with purple sweet potatoes, went with Dorie's suggestion of mashing up some of the cooked potatoes too.  Served with a big dollap of Greek yoghurt, and chopped fresh herbs.
Above was my light lunch next day with the little leftovers.  And those are the two pictures I have of the chowder (if it is still considered a chowder without any cream or milk).  I have made the recipe with zucchini instead of leeks, and a squash version too.
Above: Finally, with milk, well with poaching liquid (milk, water and vegetable stock cube) from another recipe! Potatoes, frozen peas, asparagus and poached shredded chicken!
~*~
are cooking from
Dorie Greenspan's
Everyday Dorie, The Way I Coo
k
Recipe from page 63
~*~
A Big Thank You to KatieBetsy and Mary
for putting everything into order and making it happen!
***
Do check out CtBF and see the results of our members
Note: We do not publish recipes at CtBF,
but certain recipe links are available at Amazon,
better still - get the book, and join us at CtBF.
~*~
I'm linking this post with
Cookbook Countdown #37  

10 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

You have made some delicious versions! I would love to try with sweet potatoes! We love ours with the added cream.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Interesting! Yours is the only purple soup I have seen so far. I am sure it was amazing!

Katie said...

Love that pretty purple color! I was wondering if you'd put beets in, but purple potatoes! This is such a versatile recipe and I love seeing everyone's variations.

Mardi Michels said...

I was wondering if anyone would use purple potatoes - this is lovely! So many ways to make this recipe, it's a keeper!!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

oh wow! i love that you’ve tried this so many ways!

tricia s. said...

Wow- yours looks amazing and I had been wondering how you got that gorgeous color. So fun to know that it was from the potatoes ! Both of your bowls look delicious and healthy. Love all of the options Dorie suggests and of course, all the ones we will be exploring on our own :) Happy New Year !

Shirley@EverOpenSauce said...

A red version of the potato chowder (without the beets). How imaginative?

Cher Rockwell said...

What a fun color! Glad to hear you enjoyed.

Guyla said...

I like the idea of using sweet potatoes! I'm making a note to try it. Yours looks delicious!

Mary Hirsch said...

To answer your question, I don't know if it's chowder if it doesn't have milk or cream, but I think there were only two of us that used cream. So, that's your answer. Everyone has their own version of Dorie's chowder. Yours looks delicious. I think we all liked this week's recipe/