Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 21, 2017

CtBF: MPK ~ Coffee Creme Brulee

Just to say the custard was delicious and I was standing by
the sink (licking the spatula clean, wiping the sides of the
mixing bowl clean with my fingers and licking them) before
dunking the utensils to soak!
I do not have instant coffee at home and the small sachet I brought home
went missing....  So I heated the milk with a tablespoon of my favorite
Vietnamese coffee grinds to almost boiling, take off the heat and let it
infuse while I get the rest of the ingredients going.  Of course, strain the
mixture before using it!  The coffee and the Kahlua version of the
classic creme brulee was a delight!  
While the rest of the ingredients were according to David's 
recipe... I did play around with ratio for the whole milk and cream,
it could have been more whole milk than cream - say 55/45 ratio?
And I baked them in a water bath for about 40 mins.
While the custard was not runny... there was a bit of 'liquid'
at the bottom of the ramekin (see picture below)
David's creme brulee did not have the smooth texture like the
two earlier versions I made a long time ago,
and I did not make Dorie's version.
click below if you like to see the ones I made before!
***
are cooking from My Paris Kitchen,
David Lebovitz's latest book.
Coffee creme brulee - pages 253 to 255 of
***
A Big Thank You to KatieBetsy and Mary
for putting everything into order and making it happen!
***
my collection of David's books:
and newly acquired copy of this
Ready for Desserts
made possible by this lovely lady!
***
Do check out CtBF and see the results of our members
Note: We do not publish recipes at CtBF,
but certain recipe links are available at Amazon,
better still - get the book, and join us at CtBF.

5 comments:

Nana said...

Looks perfect. Mine was a complete disaster so we will go on to other recipes and not worry.

shirley @ everopensauce said...

Your are right about the texture. It's on the soft side. I like it a bit more full bodied.

KB from Prof Who Cooks said...

What a great idea to steep with the grounds! I had success with this recipe and I have no idea why. It's really weird. And it sure did taste good!

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Emily,
This classic coffee creme brulee looks good.

Betsy said...

I find that sometimes the tweaks we make to work with ingredients we have available turn out to be improvements on the recipe. Good job!