Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 12, 2015

FFwD ~ Veal Marengo (used Beef)

This week's recipe calls for veal but I used beef topside
from Jay's which I had on standby in my freezer
 and there are no 'white boiling onions' to be found
where I am, so I quartered two red onions
and proceed as per instructions
I used a Californian Riesling 
from Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi
cos that's what was I wanted to drink 
with the meal
 
done in 45mins in my HappyCallPan
very robust and rustic sauce
  ***
from Dorie Greenspan's
'Baking Chez Moi'
Banana-Chocolate Chaussons ~ pages 256-257
aka bananas/chopped milk chocolate/white n brown sugar/butter cubes
wrapped in puff pastry
 
enjoyed with freshly pressed Indonesian coffee!
 
simple and fast!
***
 Do check out the rest of group's results for this week's recipe at:
(click picture below)
Veal Marengo - pages 264 to 266
Banana-Chocolate Chaussons ~ pages 256-257
French Desserts by Dorie Greenspan
Thanks for dropping by for a visit and leaving me a comment!

13 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I was surprised that I could find some small onions! It was a lovely meal, wasn't it!
P.S. love the look of your chaussons, too.

KB from Prof Who Cooks said...

I couldn't find small onions that were fresh, so I used some frozen ones (sold by the bag). Those chaussons look great and I'll have to check out the recipe!

Diane Balch said...

I guess Dorie is talking about Spring onions we still have snow on the ground, so I won't be seeing them for a while. I used pearl onions.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, now I'm having a craving for something sweet. Those desserts look mighty tasty:-)

Nana said...

This was good, wasn't it. Tricia supplied me with tiny onions and tiny potatoes, both enjoyable. Now my husband has a craving for small potatoes. Geez, what next?

Kathy said...

I wasn’t able to find stewing veal, but I did find cipolline onions. This was quite an enjoyable meal, for sure! Love those chaussons!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Emil, wonderful presentation of the Stew - I could not find those elusive small white onions either - I used shallots instead. And your Chaussons look delightul - I will have to make that recipe for the kids again!
Have a great weekend,
Andrea

Mary Hirsch said...

Ms. Emily, it is sinful to put the Banana-Chocolate Chaussons and beef stew in the same Post. I thought I was just making a wonderful romp through the FFWD Posts this morning, reading about beef stew, and I come across your Post first. All I'm thinking about right now are bananas and chocolate (which I have in the pantry) and puff pastry (which I have in my freezer). So the comments will wait and the chaussons will be made. Unfortunately, my coffee is not Indonesian. Very nice post. Yes, my dutch oven is a vintage Wagnerware pot made of a cast aluminum called Magnalite. It has to be at least 50 years old and has been passed down to me. I have had dinner guests try to take it home!!! It's a treasure, maximizing heat conductivity.

Teresa said...

Oh my, those chaussons look wonderful! And your stew turned out beautifully, too.

Cakelaw said...

I liked this stew too. Never heard of chaussons before, but they look great!

Cher Rockwell said...

The stew is lovely, but now I am also craving something sweet wrapped in puff pastry :-)

Diane Zwang said...

Great meal and I love coffee. I missed most of the desserts in AMFT so I have a lot of make-ups to do:)

Betsy said...

I liked the stew, but I'm wanting the banana chocolate chaussons now too.