Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 10, 2014

FFwD ~ baked apples filled with fruits and nuts

It's Friday 
and we are baking apples filled with fruits and nuts!
I used:
sliced almonds, prunes, dried apricots, golden raisins 
and crystallized ginger and binding agent was
a splash of maple syrup
cos it will take forever ever for the last bit of honey to
travel all the way down to the nozzle... ;(
I peeled the apples (cos I think my apples were waxed)
and made a cut around the middle of the apples
but I did put all the bits and pieces from the centre
of the apples in place of the peelings
 
loads of unsalted butter on the tops
and in the water (not apple cider)
I thought of using a fruity wine but decided not to, in the end
 
baked these in an uncovered corning ware dish
for an hour and 5 mins
will taste it tomorrow morning 
but it should be good!

UPDATED:
baked apple with oatmeal with a sprinkling of pomegranate
 
 below: pasta cooked the 'dressy pasta risotto' way
but with vegetable stock, mushroom infused cream
and loads of mascarpone with
diced salmon, mushrooms and peas!

~ * ~
check out the rest of group's results at:
recipe from page 394 of

Thanks for dropping by for a visit and leaving me a comment!

14 comments:

Geri Saucier said...

Love using maple syrup. Next time, I will use that and the ginger. I bet the apples tasted great. Have a nice weekend.

Kathy said...

I’m sure maple syrup would be delightful in this! We really enjoyed these…hope it’s a winner for you too! Enjoy your weekend!






Unknown said...

I'm sure the maple syrup was good. I used ginger syrup on mine and we loved it! Sweet wine sounds good too Emily. Maybe I'll try that next time. Hope your weekend is good!

Anonymous said...

Maple syrup would be great with this recipe and I really like your choices for the fruit and nuts. This recipe was a keeper for me, for sure.

kitchen flavours said...

A lovely dessert! I like all the fruits and the almonds!

tricia s. said...

SO glad to knew the syrup was a hit. I was really thinking of using that until I remembered the Manuka honey I had. And love your idea of ginger- yum. PS- I downloaded "FUEL" the book you recommended and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Adriana said...

Mmmh, wine would have been great too! Poached pears are one of my favorites, so I can see that working well with apples. Dorie said so herself!

Anonymous said...

Look at those chunks of butter -- nice! :) You are going to love it!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

I wonder how the wine would have been. I hope you ended up liking these!

Cher Rockwell said...

How fun to eat that with baked oatmeal and pomegranate! Did you like the "risotto"?

Anonymous said...

I cant wait to try this with oatmeal and pomegranate. What a wonderful way to start a cold dreary winter day!

Emily said...

Tricia, Jeremy Chin will be so thrilled you are reading FUEL!!

Emily said...

Risotto's great!

Christy said...

Excellent pairing with the oatmeal and pomegranate.